Saturday, October 22, 2011

Time

What is time?  It is something a 50 year old man is running out of.

It is something that even Steve Jobs ran out of.

But there seems to be an interesting phenomena that happens to most people as they grow older.  Even as they run out of time, they become more patient.

Just about the time I retired from the Army, I picked up the guitar.  When I was barely good enough, I started playing for the people at Pikes Peak Hospice.

Most of the people I played for at Hospice had, on average, about three weeks or less to live.  Yet almost each one of them was very, very patient.

Of course, a very sad part of this is that most of them were alone and they spent much of their remaining time watching TV.

I think when people start to die, it is hard for those who love them, to spend time with them.

The last days of a person's life are often the only time a person confronts his or her own mortality in a very direct, honest way.  

At some point, the reality of death and the need to confront it, becomes unavoidable.   As this happens, everyone in the room is reminded of their own mortality.  This can be an uncomfortable subject for most Americans.  Hence, many Americans (like my Dad), die alone, in a hospital or hospice bed, often just watching TV.


The photo above is of Ruth Hasty and I.  She passed away about 12 hours after this picture was taken. She loved music, especially guitar music.  What an honor it was to share this very special time in her life.  

What do you say to someone who is dying?  Sometimes all you can do is sing a song or say a prayer.

Ruth died surrounded by her son Les (who also played the guitar for her), and many of her friends and family.  

Ruth's death was sad, as I think all deaths are, but in her case, I cannot imagine a more beautiful and  dignified way to pass on.....

  

No comments:

Post a Comment