Saturday, October 8, 2011

Rolling with the Changes

REO Speedwagon has a song about rolling with the changes.

Roll with the Changes

 I think this concept is the key to aging gracefully.  It may also be a useful tool to living gracefully in the present.

Change is inevitable; changes in our bodies, our income, where we live, our marriage status, our jobs.  Key here is not to hold on too tightly to the past, but rather to learn from it and keep those lessons in context.  I will strive to use those lessens anytime I can on the CURRENT situation at hand.  I cannot and will not live in the past.

I am not the 19 year old I once was.  I'm this guy with the memories of some great things, but I've got to get up in the morning and be the guy I am today.

We are here and now.  That's cool.  It is our chance to shine, but someday soon, our lights will dim and it will be someone else's turn to shine.  How do I gracefully exit the stage of life for the next act?

I think the best way is to be the person God created and to give the effort 100% of my mental and physical energies now.  If done correctly, I will know when it is time to leave.  I hope when I do, I give the new guy a great introduction and to the best of my ability, to support and facilitate the gifts he can now give the world.

Maybe that's what being a Grandfather is all about, giving to those who replace you as you gracefully exit the stage of this life...


No comments:

Post a Comment