Monday, October 17, 2011

Capturing Ideas Now

A while ago I saw a presentation on TED (http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html).  It was given by Elizabeth Gilbert, an author who wrote "Eat, Pray and Love" a best seller that seemed to come out of now where.  Then she spoke about the downside of success, especially if it comes very quickly and unexpectedly to someone.

She spoke about how the Ancient Greeks and Romans believed in the concept of genius and the muse.  Genius to the Ancients was not something you are, it is something that happens to you on occasion and when that occasion happens, you need to capture it and share it with others.  It is often a fleeting opportunity that does not return.

As I look back on most of my Army life, I see my much failed philosophy of trying to be exactly as the Army wanted me to be.  I was not trying to develop myself and my unique capabilities / experiences, I was trying to conform myself to that organization's vision of a perfect officer, perfect pilot, perfect....well, you know.

The end of the story is I never made it.  I demanded of my family and myself huge sacrifices to be put at the alter of the big green machine.

The real end of the story is what the Army did with me.  I have a unique ability to keep in mind what is important, I'm very trustworthy and at the same time, I have what seems to be an unusual ability to work with people of other cultures in often strange and scary places, without being rattled.

The Army sent me to Africa, sometimes by myself to work with other governments on bilateral and sometimes multilateral civilian / military exercises.  I was great at this.  I loved it....but once again it did not conform to the image I had of what I should be doing.  By then I had spent 8 years overseas and I felt it necessary to take my family back to the US, where they could once again learn about our great country and know what it was like to be Americans who lived in America.

It took the Army about 18 years to see the unique qualities I had to offer.  It took me 24 years to figure out the same thing.

So I had that fleeting moment, that great stroke of luck that put me in the right place at the right time.  The real funny thing was that it was not my idea, but the Army's.

Today, as I approach 50, I'm less likely to conform to the norm of what others want me to be or do.  I am  more likely to take inventory of the special gifts I have and to give those gifts of mine to help others.

Thanks Army for the great opportunity you gave me!

Me, outside a hospital in Kuito, Angola, 
Western Africa



1 comment: