Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Meaning of Now

As I approach 50, the meaning of now takes a whole new sense of urgency.  I've started to loose my hair, I gain weight and lose muscle faster than ever.  And on the horizon looms that time that we all must experience, death.

When will it come?  I don't know, nor do I spend much time planning for it, but I know it is there and there is no escape from its inevitability.  So life takes on a greater sense of urgency to complete those things started and to start those things that need to be begun.

And really, there is only one time that we live, and it is Now.  The future fades off into an undefined horizon, the past sets behind me like a setting sun.  Today and now is all I can manage, and what I have to manage is more than enough.

Goals in the future are not as important to me as is connecting with real people.  Gone now is the shroud of whom I want once wanted to pretend to be.

No, today I am who I am and really, I hope you get to know me now. There is no one I will pretend to be.  There is only me trying to be the best me I can be,....now....




No comments:

Post a Comment