Friday, October 21, 2011

Fixing Stuff

As I approach 50 years old, I learn more and more about how important time is and how important our contribution to the world is.  The time of laziness and sloth is, I hope, behind me.  I pray that the remaining time in my life will be spent in pursuit of the great and the good.

With that in mind, there is no time wasted in even the small tasks of cleaning the house or doing the dishes.  These events give me time to reflect on what I have done and I what I need to do.

In his autobiography, Gandhi wrote about cleaning urinals. He left me with the impression that is was very important to do things he disliked, especially if they help clean a dirty environment for himself and for others.

I really don't like cleaning.  It forces me to take action and to make decisions.

What to keep, what to throw away, what to give to others.  And those thing I keep, where do I put them?  Are they really that important? Would it make my life easier to manage if I gave them to someone else in need?

What was it Emerson said, "We should do those things that we fear."  ?  I think that goes for cleaning too.  We should do those things we need to do, especially if we hate them, because it is good for our soul.




No comments:

Post a Comment