Thursday, November 3, 2011

You never know...

I never liked swimming competitively.  The mornings came early, the water in the outside pool was cold and there was usually someone faster...

Mom and Dad insisted that I swim anyway.  So I did….for years. 

Then one day in May of 1992, I found myself on the beach in Korea.  There were two young men drowning in the surf that contained the debris and waves of a recent typhoon.  At that moment, I vowed that I would not go to bed that night with the visions of two people drowning.  I was going to something to help them or die trying.

Fortunately my parents had insisted that I swim competitively ...for years.  Fortunately I had maintained my goal of staying in good shape.
 
Things worked out fine for them and for me.  I'm alive today and so are they,
…. but who would have known?

No comments:

Post a Comment