Sunday, November 6, 2011

Always going home....

"Where are you from?"  This was an honest, friendly question asked of me while on a business trip.  The setting was in Tampa, Florida, in a Starbucks, early in the morning and the crowd was pretty thin.

The question and the sincerity in which it was asked caused me to stop and consider a real answer.  Right away there were images flashing in my head from places I had lived and experiences that had that really left a mark on me.  There was the memories of growing up in a small cow town in Colorado.  There was the times I had lived in Korea, seven years in total, some of them very close to the DMZ, others in the capital city of the country, Seoul.  There were the four years I lived in Germany, the trips in and out of Africa, there was Azerbaijan, where my hotel was just miles away from Iran, Tehran, and Iraq.

"Well," I started to say, "I live in Colorado, but I was in the Army for 24 years. "

"Oh, then you are from everywhere?"  He asked in a  natured way.

"No....no, I'm from Colorado.  All my Grandparents are buried there.  It just took me a while to make it back home."



Where do you call home?

Is it a place?  Is it a state like Colorado, or a city or a neighborhood?  Or is it an ideal?

Please leave a comment.  Let me know what you think.

-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment