Wednesday, November 9, 2011

"And then you realize your aren't fit to clean those boots..."

C.S. Lewis has a quote in his book, God in the Dock which gives me courage to fail.

He writes about his annoyance of the some of the music he hears in his church.

"...I dislike very much their hymns, which I considered to be fifth-rate poems set to sixth-rate music.  But as I went on I saw the great merit of it.

I came up against different people of quite different outlooks and education, and then gradually my conceit just began peeling off.

I realized that the hymns (which were just sixth-rate music) were, nevertheless being sung with devotion and benefit by an old saint in elastic-side boots in the opposite pew,

and then you realize that you aren't fit to clean those boots."

It is 4:28 in the morning.  In a minute, I leave for Mass and a Mens Meeting afterwords titled "This Man is You".

Am I good enough to play my guitar alone in this setting?

The real answer is "No, I'm not."  But I will try, and I will play it with the best devotion and benefit that I can muster.  I won't be the old saint, but I will try to be the saint I should be....


No comments:

Post a Comment