Saturday, November 19, 2011

Rubbing shoulders with greatness, a CU graduate retires

My Boss, CAPT Frank Doris is retiring soon.  As bosses go, he was one of the best.

He wasn't soft on me, but he knew my strengths and weaknesses and he was able to put me into situations where I could do the greatest good.  He challenged my weaknesses in a subtle way.  He knew when to press and he knew when to back off.  He demanded my best and I always tried to give that it to him.

Even when sometimes my best wasn't quite good enough, he was able to underwrite my mistakes and make the best out of the whole situation. 

He treated me as a peer.  I was no peer.  I looked up to him.  I was inspired by his example.

He could grasp complex concepts, live with ambiguity and see problems with clarity.  He could sort out what really needed to be done and give us the clear guidance of how to do it.  

He could build a team of people and get things done while still building morale and individual potential.   

He had candor and he had courage.  He was a great boss and a great friend.  

I'll miss him.  

Maybe what he leaves behind in me is a guy who is a little smarter, a little stronger and little more knowledgeable of my real capabilities.





CAPT Frank Doris (CU Graduate) flying a Navy Jet

No comments:

Post a Comment