Saturday, September 24, 2011

Recovering from surgery


Physical Therapy

You'll notice the sling on my right arm.  That's from rotator cuff surgery last Wednesday.  The injury was due to pushing myself a little too hard, a little too often in the weight room.  

I've learned late in life what my swimming coach tried to teach me, what my football coaches tried to teach me, and that is:  "You have to push yourself to see what you are capable of doing."  I think that is the real lesson in high school sports.  Pushing yourself to the next level of performance, even when you are in pain, even when you are tired.  The lesson is that you can go even further than you ever thought you could go.  

But alas, in the pool I could have pushed myself harder, on the football field I should started the sport earlier (Sr. Year) and when I found myself on the playing field, I should have confronted my fear more and gave the game all the energy I had.  As it was, I often held back and I usually had a little gas left in the tank at the end of the game.

Sadly I missed an opportunity to improve myself and to find out what I was really capable of.  

So this week I found myself sidelined at home recovering from surgery that stemmed from an effort to make up for lost time - oh so many years ago.

The recovery really wasn't so bad.  I spent more time with my wife, I took the narcotic pain killers often and I practiced my guitar skills.  I didn't watch any TV at all.  So really how bad could it be?  It was 10 days of Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll!!

; )

No comments:

Post a Comment